Unique to the rest of Martin County, Indiantown is situated in the midst of large citrus groves and is bordered by the peaceful St. Lucie Canal. The residents of this unincorporated area enjoy the sense of community associated with living in a small town. They also like the idea that located 30 minutes away are the dining, shopping and other attractions associated with the bigger cities. Whether raising funds for a worthwhile project or voicing their opinions at a local town meeting, the townspeople show their concern for their neighbors and their neighborhood. Recognizing the community is on the threshold of growth, local business leaders are taking a more aggressive posture toward attracting commerce to the area. Easy accessibility by land, rail, air and water and competitive land prices add to Indiantown’s appeal.
The first known inhabitants were Georgia-born Seminole Indians who, in the early 1800′s, found the area’s higher elevation, friendly climate and fertile land perfect for their tranquil lifestyle. The tranquility, however, lasted only until the mid-1830′s by which time the U.S. Military had moved in and taken control.Having “settled” the area, the military moved out and it was not until the early 1890′s that serious settlers began arriving. Among the first were Francis Marion Platt who brought his family from Arcadia, less than 100 miles to the west but then a six-day journey, and Joe Bowers. Platt established cattle ranching and orange growing while Bowers planted many citrus trees and founded what is known in Indiantown as Bowers Groves.Around 1902 developers “discovered” the area and began buying land at 50 cents an acre from the strapped U.S. Government. And, during World War I, the military again returned to dredge the St. Lucie Canal to serve as a drainage system from Lake Okeechobee east to the Atlantic Coast.In the early 1920′s, S. Davies Warfield, a Baltimore financier who was building a railroad from Central Florida to West Palm Beach, began assembling large parcels of land. Warfield saw the community as the southern headquarters of his rail line and even dreamed of it becoming the County Seat of Martin County, which was formed in 1925.As part of his dream, Warfield built the Seminole Inn opened to a gala gathering in 1927 and to this day remains a historic site.
Among those attending the opening was Warfield’s niece, Wallis, who later married the King of England and became the Duchess of Windsor.Warfield died in 1927 before his dreams came to fruition and, when the Great Depression set in, his holdings were sold to a consortium of out-of-state investors who formed the Indian Town Development Company in 1937. Little progress was attained, however, in the next decade and a half.In 1953, new investors purchased the Indian Town Development Company’s holdings and renamed the firm the Indiantown Company, Inc.In its 43 years of stewardship, the Indiantown Company, Inc., has brought vast improvements to the community, opening the Marina, developing land plans, installing utility services and preparing for the significant growth expected in the decade ahead.